May is Mental Health Awareness Month, and no matter what you’re experiencing right now, I’m here to say you’re not alone.
As we venture deeper into 2021, many of us are finding ourselves amidst constant change while paradoxically feeling like every day is the same. It can be rough to navigate through daily routines and tasks without the pre-2020 feeling of freedom.
As we settle into this new normal, there are things we can do to help us remain present, focused, and more relaxed every single day. These little things can better your workday, and if you do at least one thing each day, those little things can add up to an overall sense of wellness. Speaking personally, the tips below are helping me as I navigate the excitement and changes resulting from Alaris’ recent acquisition by Lexitas.
Things you can do to destress during your workday:
- Take a walk. If you spend most of your day behind your desk staring a computer, one of the best solutions may be to stand up and get moving. If you don’t have a ton of time, aim for ten minutes of walking. You can even use your walk as a moving meditation by focusing on each part of your foot as it presses into the ground from heel to toe. To add a little pep in your step, listen to upbeat music to help recharge your mood. Or if needed, try soothing meditation music, or stress relief playlists that can be found on most music streaming platforms.
- Breathe. Simply focus on your inhales and exhales. If you’re having trouble, inhale for a count of four, hold for a count of four, exhale for a count of four, and hold for another count of four. Repeat as needed. Mindful breathing can calm and energize simultaneously, sending oxygen throughout your body, helping you to focus and forge ahead for the rest of your day.
- Phone a friend. Connecting with a friend to catch up, laugh, or kvetch can help lighten your mood and ease everyday anxieties. Making plans to get together in the future can also assist in lightning your mood, as a way of having something to look forward to.
- Eat a snack. Remember in grade school how happy you were when you opened your lunchbox and saw a pudding cup, peanut butter crackers, or carrot sticks? Treat yourself to a snack that makes you feel child-like happy. Take your time to savor it, enjoying every bite. As an added recharge, make it a healthy snack to boost not only your mood, but also your energy!
- Have a quick massage. Even if you can’t get out of your workspace during the day, you can take a regular break to rub your own shoulders and neck. For an extra splurge, invest in a personal neck and back massager.
And if these things aren’t enough, allow us to help. Alaris® Litigation’s court reporting, legal video, trial, and ADR services can help make your job easier. Let us do the heavy lifting to take some stress out of your day. At the end of the day, we want to make sure you’re doing well so you can keep doing what you love. I know I do what I love every day. It’s part of what keeps me feeling good!
*If you or a loved one is having mental health concerns, please contact the National Alliance on Mental Illness Helpline at 800-950-NAMI or text “NAMI” to 741741.